The Ultimate Moving Checklist: What to do Before, During, and After Your Move
Are you in the process of planning a move? If so, you will want to check out this helpful article on the ultimate moving checklist. This guide will walk you through everything you need to do before, during, and after your move to ensure a smooth transition into your new home. By following these tips, you can avoid common moving mistakes and make the process as stress-free as possible!
Moving Checklist Timeline:
60 Days Before the Move:
– Start packing! Begin by sorting through your belongings and dividing them into three categories: keep, donate, or toss. Tackle one category at a time and pack up everything that belongs in that group. Be sure to use proper packing supplies to protect your items during transport.
– Create a moving budget. Moving can be expensive, so it’s important to create a budget and stick to it. Decide what expenses are necessary (such as hiring movers, buying packing supplies, etc.) and which ones you can cut back on.
– Make an Inventory List. This is especially important if you’re hiring movers. Make a list of all the items you plan to move and give it to your movers so they can create an estimate.
30 Days Before the Move:
– Change your address a month before you move. This will ensure that all of your mail is delivered to your new address and that you don’t miss any important updates or notifications.
– Contact your utility companies and schedule a time for them to switch over your service to your new home. Make sure to have all of your account information and contact info handy so that the process goes as smoothly as possible.
– Pack any items you don’t need in the next few weeks ahead of time. This will help to minimize the amount of work you have to do during the move itself.
14 Days Before the Move:
– Label all of your boxes clearly so that you can easily find what you are looking for once everything is unpacked.
– Notify your bank, credit card companies, insurance providers, and other service providers of your move.
– Clean your old home and get it ready to sell. This may include painting, deep cleaning, or repairs.
– Make sure to pack an essentials bag with all of the items you will need during and after the move. This should include things like your toiletry kit, change of clothes, important documents, and medications.
It’s Moving Day!
– Now is the time to pack your last-minute items. No matter how closely you followed our moving checklist and packing tips earlier, there will still be at least a few things that can’t wait until moving day!
– If you disassemble anything, make sure you gather all pieces and store them with a label so you don’t end up with missing pieces during the reassembly.
– When you are moving, it is important to take care of your most valuable possessions. Make sure that any fragile or expensive items are securely wrapped and protected from getting damaged during the process so they arrive at their new home in pristine condition!
– Make sure to label all boxes appropriately and group them in a way that will make sense for when you arrive at your new home. This makes unloading much easier as well!
– Before you load up the truck, make sure that every nook and cranny in your home has been checked for forgotten items. You don’t want to leave any surprises by forgetting something important in drawers or having items hidden inside furniture! (This makes things a bit heavier if they are not unloaded before transport.)
– Bad weather happens. If the forecast shows inclement weather be prepared and be flexible. Some moves end up taking longer than expected, don’t worry and breathe – have something ready in case you get bored or hungry while waiting for things to clear up.
If you Plan on Hiring Professional Movers
– Before the movers arrive, dispose of any trash you’ve accumulated through packing and sorting. This will free up space for our movers, so they can do their job easily!
– Movers know how to move homes and will do so with professionalism and safety practices in mind. You shouldn’t try helping out unless specifically asked. Interference could pose a liability for them if anything were damaged or broken while moving your belongings.
– The best way to prevent damage during moving is by hiring professionals who will take care of all the heavy lifting for you. They are experts in disassembling furniture and reassembling it correctly, so there’s no need for fretting about putting things back together yourself.
– Treating the movers well can be a nice way to show appreciation for their hard work. Offer them plenty of water, and if you have any food in your fridge or freezer that might interest them then by all means share! A nice gesture goes a long way!
After the Move:
– Make sure to unpack everything as soon as possible so that you can start settling into your new home.
– Take a few days to relax and recover from the move. This is especially important if you have kids or pets, who may be extra active and restless after the move.
– Connect with your new neighbors and get to know your new community. This is a great way to make sure that you feel comfortable and settled in your new home.
– Get organized! One of the best things about moving is that it’s the perfect time to declutter your old home and organize your new one. Spend some time sorting through your belongings and deciding what needs to go into storage and what can be donated or thrown away. Having a well-organized home will make living in it that much more enjoyable!
Choose the Right Moving Company
Now that you have the ultimate moving checklist, it’s time to choose the right moving company. Your property is important and should be handled with care. By choosing a reputable mover, you can relax knowing your belongings are in good hands. We hope this article has helped make your move less stressful and more organized. Good luck with your upcoming transition!
For more moving tips and advice, be sure to check out our other blog posts on the subject. And if you’re looking for professional help with your move, contact us today to learn more about our services!