How to Avoid Common Moving Mistakes: Tips from the Pros
If you’re moving soon, you no doubt have a lot on your mind. There are so many things to do in order to get ready for the big day! But one thing you don’t want to worry about is making mistakes. That’s why we’ve enlisted the help of our professional movers to give us their top tips on how to avoid common moving mistakes. Keep reading for advice from the experts on everything from packing and planning to stay organized during your move.
Common Mistakes to Avoid when Moving
– Spending too much on packing. Packing can be a costly endeavor, but it doesn’t have to be. Avoid overspending on boxes and packing materials by shopping around for the best deals. You can also find free or cheap boxes at local businesses and online classifieds websites like Craigslist.
– Packing heavy items in large boxes. It’s important to pack heavy items in small boxes so they’re easier to carry. This will also help keep the weight of your boxes manageable.
– Forgetting to change your address. One of the most important things you need to do when moving is updating your address with all of your important contacts. This includes your bank, insurance company, employer, etc. Failing to do so could lead to missed bills, packages, or important mail.
– Packing flammable, explosive or corrosive materials. It’s important to avoid packing any hazardous materials in your moving boxes. These can be dangerous not just for you but for the movers as well. So if you have any flammable, explosive or corrosive materials, be sure to pack them separately.
– Leaving outside of boxes blank. When packing your boxes, it’s important to label them clearly so you know what’s inside. This way, you won’t have to open every single one when you get to your new home.
– Forgetting to take measurements. Before you start packing, take some time to measure the dimensions of your new home and compare them to the size of your current furniture. This way, you’ll have a good idea of what will fit and what needs to be packed.
– Taking taxes too lightly. Moving can be expensive, so it’s important to budget for all the associated costs, including taxes. You may be able to deduct some of your moving expenses on your tax return, so be sure to speak with an accountant beforehand.
– Another common mistake is trying to do it all yourself. Moving is hard work, so don’t try to take it on alone! Ask friends and family for help or hire professionals.
Tips from the Pros:
– Moving during the summer months can be very hectic and busy. Nearly half of all moves occur between Memorial Day and Labor Day!
– It is recommended that you make your reservation two to four weeks ahead of time for your truck or trailer. This helps to secure the type of vehicle you’ll need – for local moves or one-way rentals.
– Keep in mind that the rental rates are cheaper for trucks during these non-peak weekdays if you move between Monday and Thursday. Typically, the rental centers are busier on the weekends.
– Disrespecting your movers. Moving is hard work, and your movers deserve respect for all they’re doing to help you. So be sure to thank them for their efforts, and don’t forget to offer them a meal or drink during your break.
Moving can be a stressful experience, but by following these tips from the pros, you can avoid making common mistakes and make your move go as smoothly as possible. Good luck!
A fantastic way to avoid the pain of moving is by hiring professionals. Why go through all that trouble when we can do it for you? We have years of experience in every type of home/office move and will take care of everything from packing up your things, loading them on our trucks, then driving off with a smile – no worries here! Contact us for your quote today!